Playwriting Course with James McDermott | £108/£72
Time & Location
About the Event
Mon 8th March 7.30pm - 9.30pm
Mon 15th March 7.30pm-9.30pm
Mon 22nd March 7.30pm - 9.30pm
Mon 29th March 7.30pm - 9.30pm
Mon 5th April - Easter Monday - no session
Mon 12th April 7.30pm - 9.30pm
Mon 19th April 7.30pm - 9.30pm
Through a series of group discussions and individual writing exercises, learn tools and techniques to help you generate dramatic stories, create characters, write dialogue and structure playscripts. The course is aimed at Playwrights/script writers at any level but exercises covered in the course will help those who write any form of creative fiction.
- Attendees will learn what drama is and how to generate dramatic ideas
- Attendees will learn what character is and how to create memorable characters
- Attendees will learn how to write dialogue and subtext
- Attendees will learn about story & plot, dramatic form & structure and time & place. They will be guided through the structuring of their dramatic story
- Attendees will learn tools to help them plan, write and rewrite their play
- Attendees will have the space and time to share their work and receive peer feedback
- Attendees will have the space and time to read and discuss as a group extracts from seminal queer plays which illustrate ideas discussed in the class
- Attendees will have the space and time to discuss how to start and sustain a career as a freelance playwright
As part of the last two sessions, attendees will have the opportunity, only if they wish, to share some of the writing they have done during the course.
James McDermott trained on The Royal Court Writers Group and Soho Theatre’s Writers Lab. His plays published by Samuel French include ‘Rubber Ring’ and ‘Time and Tide’. James is writing new plays for HighTide, Norwich Playhouse and Mercury Theatre and is one of the writers on the EastEnders Writers Scheme.
Poetry collection 'MANATOMY' published by Burning Eye Books. Purchase copies here.
Plays 'RUBBER RING' and 'TIME AND TIDE' published by Samuel French. Purchase copies here.
Writing plays for HighTide, Eastern Angles, Norwich Theatre Royal, Mercury Theatre and Sheringham Little Theatre.
Developing TV shows with Big Talk, Shiny Button, Ranga Bee and participating on EastEnders Writers Scheme 2021.
- Standard Ticket£108£1080£0
- Concessionary Ticket£72£720£0